My Gaggia TS needed a new pump (it uses an Ulka EP5, but I fitted an equivalent Olab pump as I had one in stock). Great, a quick repair, but I managed to break a small black cap on the end of the OPV which bleeds off water when you are running hot water through the brew group.
Here is the sorry part. As you can see I have snapped the hose barb off the side.
I was not able to source the part online, and not wanting to delay putting everything back together, so I tried some bodges to reconnect the hose.
A piece of thin tube, forced into the remaining hole in the side of the main body might have worked, but with what I had to hand, I tried to fit a barb to the end of the fitting, sealed with silicone.
After a few failed attempts (the fitting weeped slightly overnight), I decided on a more satisfactory repair was necessary. Wife is making comments at this stage that the dinner table needs clearing of spanners, etc at this point.
Here is my modification:
The part on the left is the original main body of the OPV, which is fitted on to the outlet of the pump. The pipe point upwards goes to the boiler tee-piece.
On the right I have soldered a nut from a 15mm compression fitting. These have a 1/2″ BSP thread, which is reduced with a 1/2″x1/4″ adaptor to take the hose barb fitting.
The OPV can still be adjusted by removing the hose barb and inserting a 5mm allen key through the adaptor to reach the adjuster.
To solder the nut, I removed the internal adjuster, spring and seal (count the turns until the nut is free so you can set it to the same setting on reassembly).
I then filed the faces of the OPV and the nut until they were flat and bright, applied flux, and soldered with lead free plumbing solder.
Once thoroughly cooled, I cleaned the fitting with a wire brush to remove any remaining flux and assembled using PTFE tape.
The plastic tee-piece in the silicone water hose needed to be re-arranged to minimise any kinks in the OPV hose. If I had some more hose of the same size, I would run the hose again with more slack. Anyway, it is done and is drip free.